Xylitol is an ingredient commonly found in sugar-free human foods like candy and peanut butter – but it’s very dangerous for dogs!

Dogs process xylitol differently than we do – when they eat it, the xylitol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, causing the pancreas to release a potent dose of insulin. This drastically throws off the animal’s blood sugar levels and can be life-threatening.
Signs of xlylitol poisoning include vomiting, seizures, weakness, tremors, and difficulty walking or standing. Call your veterinarian right away if you believe your pet may have ingested xylitol.